Friday 13 February 2015

Thy Drugs Are Quick.


February already. 
Almost March. 
Where is the year dwindling away to?!

EASTER IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time has slipped through my fingers with end of year craziness like Christmas in retail, dealing with family affairs and doing silly things like having surgery. Ugh.

I am hoping that things settle down now……I’ve been saying that for a year.
No, but really……I am making the plunge. Dropping my job at Rustic Pantry to have more time for art. More time for making and more time for promoting it. That’s the theory anyway. If you’re a creative person you will understand the balancing act you toy with your whole life. 
Money vs. time for making. 
Too much money means no time and usually a little bit of the crazies and illness starts seeping in. Not enough money has a fairly similar effect after a while so the tricky thing is just having enough of everything.

But now I have more time and all these things I’d like to do that need money. F*#*!!!!!!!
I really need a holiday.

In other news....
My Grandmother recently moved into a nursing home and we had to pack up her house of 65 years. It was a heartbreaking experience. The place has been an anchor in our family’s lives for as long as I can remember. It’s always been the same since I was born. 
Same furniture, same smells, same garden, same light, same colours. 
Now it’s not ours anymore.




My Grandpop died a few years ago so a lot of his things were still there, untouched. They were the hardest things to move. Like his shaving stuff, tucked away in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. And all his tools in the shed.  His smell is still there, machine oil, metal and imperial leather soap. He was a mechanic all his life and could fix anything.




Packing away all these objects you can’t help but think of them as lost limbs. Parts of the past full of memories and connections, all the things people leave behind.  There were so many treasures hiding in dark and dusty corners.


We found a couple of old hand mirrors. I’m pretty excited about these hand mirrors…..3 or 4 generations back?!  I have some detective work to do.  


Granny’s domain was in the kitchen and the garden. Precious cake making gear and shiny polished canisters sitting on top of the kitchen cupboards, roses and roses and rosemary, an immaculate weed-free lawn and a greenhouse full of geraniums, ferns, succulents and cacti. 
The greenhouse was my favourite place to be, full of places to hide and green light.




Nostalgia is creeping in. I can smell it.

And……so I had to have a laparoscopy last week, keyhole surgery to look at some cysts on my little ovaries. It wasn’t too bad really. I was dreading it – this is a person who faints at the sight of a needle – so the idea of being under a general and having my lungs stopped and pumped for me and then my lower regions sliced into was a little daunting. But Moruya hospital is pretty great. I felt very safe and in good hands. Especially since the dude doing the general was a pal! (With only 6 Anaesthetists in the area I had pretty good odds of getting him!)
My Dr. was a little surprised when I asked him if I could have copies of the pictures he was going to snap. I’m a little bit excited about this. It makes the whole thing a little more worthy of my time. If I am going to feel shit for a couple of weeks at least I know I’ve got some new material to work on! Who wouldn’t want to know what their insides look like?!!

So now that you all know I’m a complete nutter I’ll finish this little essay up and get on with the show.

Because it's Valentine's Day here's a little something about Love I read in a magazine.

Wisdom from John Baldessari & Tom Waits


Toodle pip


J
xoxoxo

      

1 comment:

  1. Even though it's been decade(s) since I last set foot in the houses of my grandparents they turn up in my dreams constantly. Often I find myself squatting/hiding in them, or planning to can buy them (one doesnt even exist any more)! Good luck with the surgery!

    ReplyDelete